Friday, November 4, 2011

Welcome to San Diego

So this is the story that started it all.  One day, one of my first on the bus, I sat near the front, minding my own business.  My MP3 player was dead, so I was without headphones.  At each stop, the bus driver announced, "10 to Old Town" to the oncoming passengers.

After a few stops, a booming voice from the back of the bus started shouting in a sing-songy way, "OLD town!  OLD town!  OLD town!" 

This went on for a good 3 or 4 minutes.  My fellow riders and I shot sidelong glances at each other while raising eyebrows.  No one dared turn around - one does not wish to make oneself apparent to The Crazy, in case it isn't the Harmless kind of Crazy.

Eventually, the chant subsided, and we all relaxed a little.  Then the voice returned with a new chant, this time two bizarre phrases, obviously plucked from signs or ads, but reassigned all new meaning by our sanity-challenged friend:

First:  "THE DANGERS OF TOW-AWAY!"

(I put these in caps because he really was yelling now.)

Alternating with:  "ILLEGAL ABUSES OF POWER OF ATTORNEY!"

More eyebrows raised.  More glances thrown. 

This went on until we reached the Old Town transit center (OLD town! OLD town!).  All passengers filed out, face-front, without ever glancing back.

This, my friends, was my inaugural experience with Public Transport Madness.  There were many more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment